Tuesday, March 20, 2012

motivators

sometimes, I'll be going through my day, and it hits me-
reality.
I'm a college student.
a step toward true adulthood-
and I'm making it.

I remember at six or seven, writing to my cousins going to college at the magical BYU.

...they were superheroes...

as I sit in an apartment just upstairs from the one that they sat in 13 years ago, reading a letter from their little cousin-
I wouldn't necessarily call myself a superhero.
but I know, my six year old self is incredibly proud.

now, fast forward ten years- age 16:
I should have been thinking about college a little more seriously, but I wasn't.
I had a boyfriend. I had a flawless GPA. I had my best friends. I had loads of extracurricular's. I had a flourishing social life.
And I had some fabulous teachers.
All of which, I see pretty much every time I go home.
except one.
and she's the one that I wish I could see.
She is one of the best teachers I have ever had.
ever.
She taught me to love learning. She taught me how to write.
She taught me to push myself, to take my creativity and make it a masterpiece.
She taught me that I could do anything. She constantly validated my work.
But she also constantly pushed me to improve.
I fell in love with learning because of her.
She is also the one that lead me to insects.
And that has turned into a love affair that is going to support me for the rest of my college career.
And I wonder if she even knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment