Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Good Light

I haven't written in a while. I'd like to say that it's because I've been going on adventures. That my break from school has been life changing, breath taking, and beyond my wildest dreams. That I haven't been writing because I'm too busy baking delicious cupcakes and falling in love with a beautiful man. But that's not really what it is at all. I've read some books, put more miles on my running shoes, watched some spectacular baseball games, and have made some dinero (that means dollars in el espanol). Oh, and I've spent some lovely evenings with some of the most lovely people in my life.

I went home last week and was flooded with questions from people I hardly know anymore. Most commonly, I was asked, "Well what have you been up to?". I always felt like I should have a good answer for that question. Like I should be talking about all the things I've been doing this summer. But I have nothing to say. I simply end up saying that I work a lot. That I sometimes go running. And that I hang out with my friends. Nothing exciting. As these words come out of my mouth, I feel so lame. I can't help but wonder what my life is truly amounting to.

I've been stuck in a rut before. I know what it feels like. My mind keeps telling me that I should feel that way now. But I don't. I feel completely contented with my life. It doesn't make much sense to me. But I do find comfort in the fact that I don't have to do extravagant things to live a happy life.

As it would turn out, happiness can be found anywhere, in anything. Really, as long as you want to be happy. You can find things that will make you happy. I know that sounds silly. Maybe even impossible. Maybe sometimes life just is throwing you some really unhappy things and as much as you want to smile, you can't. But I think that maybe happiness is still possible.

In April, a few of my coworkers were discussing their "themes" for the summer. One said it was her "Summer of Sacrifice", another said "Summer of Self-Improvement", and so on and so forth. At the time, I couldn't think of anything I wanted to accomplish this summer. But I think what is has turned into is the summer of simplicity. Because life doesn't have to be complex to be good.

4 comments:

  1. Amen, sista. Er, cousin. Er, you know. But seriously, one of the best summers of my life was entirely spent working and reading Les Miserables. I'm sure I did other things, like eat and stuff, but it's the simple days that are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. Summer of simplicity is a beautiful phrase and a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete