Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Nothing Comes Easy When Everyone's Rushing

There's a great movie I watched a lot as a child. In it, there is a character that is an immigrant to the United States and as he tries to give a pep talk to the main character he says very simply -
"Peoples is peoples, okay?"

In the movie this part is kind of funny because it's this man rambling on about something that doesn't really make sense and the line sounds so obvious and redundant. After some recent events though. I get it. I get what this character was trying to say. I get why they wrote it. It's because peoples is peoples.

People are not obstacles, people are not objects, people are not problems to be solved. People are not to be used. People are people. They are real. They have feelings, they can change, they can act for themselves. Just because someone has a problem doesn't make them one. We must separate the two. We can't define people because of what they've done or what they've been through.

I had a friend a few years ago. He left a huge impact on my life for how little I knew about him and for how little he knew about me. But that's actually why he had such a huge impact on my life. He didn't need to know about people's pasts to be their friends. He didn't have to know what you had done or where you had been. He met people, talked to them about their days. Talked to them about their beliefs. Talked to them about the person they were that day. And his friendship meant everything to me because everyday was a new day and I was able to be the person I was, I felt like I could be the person I wanted to be too.
He understood. He knows. That people are people.

I know that this is probably confusing and I'm pretty sure I'm not saying anything the way I want to. But I just think I need to remember to accept people for who they are. Even if I do know about their past - that's not who they are today.

Because peoples is peoples, okay?



3 comments:

  1. "People are not obstacles, people are not objects, people are not problems to be solved." This is seriously wise, Callie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this... a lot. Imagine how much kinder we would all be if we were like your friend and just accepted everyone and didn't care about their background. Great insight, lady, thanks for sharing this. (:

    ReplyDelete