Monday, February 28, 2011

A Scam and an Addiction

Today, I spoke to a boy who honestly thought that conserving energy was a scam.

Call me crazy, but I don't really see the scam in not blowing up mountains in the south. I don't really seem the scam in simply not using our resources in excess, moderation in all things, yes?

When I was young, there was a population boom in California, and along with the increase in people came a decrease in energy. There seemed to be the thought that if the citizens did not take immediate action, their children and grandchildren would be left in a world of darkness.

There were presentations at school, commercials during normal tv hours, and stories on the evening news of the importance to save our futures and the well-being of the environment. I remember building a strict habit to turn off lights as soon as I left the room, to maybe instead turn on a lamp. Fancy light bulbs were sold as elementary school fund raisers to help save energy for the world. There were so many things that I did not understand then and still don't really understand now. For instance, I have no idea where our energy came from. But I knew that I needed to save it.

I can assure you, that saving energy did not do any bad for the state of California. Yet for some reason, people don't seem to believe that energy needs to be conserved.

I still have the habits that came with the California Energy Crisis (which I did research and is somewhat related to the downfall of Enron, as most things are).

Some people find them annoying, such as my roommate who is probably reading this. Now she understands why I have no problem sitting in a room that is dimly lit (but lit all the same) and function perfectly fine without really thinking twice about the lighting in the room. There was just a point in my life where my brain was programmed to not want the lights on, and even so much that I don't like lights on, I just don't think they're necessary.

Certain individuals, like the boy in my class, would say that I had been BRAINWASHED into this. But you know, I don't think I was, but if I had been, I'm glad. But I'm happy for my habits. I like that I turn everything off all the time. I like that I get annoyed by unnatural lighting. There is honestly few things that bother me more.

I prefer the sunlight.
The pure energy that I can enjoy.

I prefer the moonlight and starlight.
The beauty that comes with it.

I'm beginning to wonder if I really even care about energy or going green. I think I've simply turned into a person addicted to the sun and whatever I can do to have more of it in my life, I will do so.

and in the midst of this winter, the midst of this "scam", my addiction is not making a fight for itself.
come back mr.sun

No comments:

Post a Comment