Sunday, January 30, 2011

my lucky stars

Being a mere five foot two inches, I have a knack for standing on top of things. If I'm with a group of people and every one is standing, I'll find a chair or a ledge, or anything raised and just stand a top it. Being just a few inches taller makes me feel like I have more power, or sometimes, it just helps me see the world at a different perspective. Sometimes when I'm nice and taller, I like to look up to the sky and feel closer to the marvelous things that it contains.

Last night, while walking around my apartment complex, I looked up and saw my friends on the roof and gladly joined them. I live on the third floor and love it. But there was something about being on the roof. There were no boundaries, I felt above the people of the world. As I looked down and around me, I noticed the endless amount of streetlights, going for what seemed like forever. Shining and reminding me of all the people I'm surrounded by. It was a spectacular feeling.

But then I looked up. And I noticed, that because of the lights on the ground, the sky that I was allowed to feel so at one with, was not as lit up as I'd ever seen a sky. But it was still a wonderful sight. Stars are beautiful things, whether there are few or all shining in the sky above.

After my friend played some beautiful songs on the guitar and I danced along, I came down to reality, climbed into my bed, turned off my light and looked at the ceiling. And saw the stars. I've always loved the fact that there are glow in the dark stars on the ceiling of my room that actually work and even though they're not real, they remind me of what I'd be seeing if there was not a ceiling at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment